Your Filipina Pen Pal!

But seriously, folks: it's all about dialogue...

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Announcement of film screening: SAY I DO

[I'm sorry about displacing Ver's excellent post below!]

For those of you in the Bay Area, Say I Do, the documentary on MOBs that Gura posted about last month, is going to be screened at UC Berkeley on Wednesday, March 8 as part of the International Women's Day celebrations. So it will be free, although donations are encouraged. Being in So Cal, I unfortunately can't be there, but I hope at least one of us is able to see it and give a report. I believe there will be an opportunity for discussion at the screening.

--------------

INTERNATIONAL WOMEN'S DAY FILM: Say I Do
"A paid-for-wife is a slave for life."

Hosted By:
GABRIELA Network, Berkeley Unit

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 8
200 WHEELER
7:00PM
Refreshments served.
Donations of $3-5 welcomed

Description
"I need to find myself a nice submissive young lady who wants and needs to have me control and direct her life. I am age 52, divorced after a long marriage. There is nothing so pleasurable to me as teaching a young woman to submit fully to my wishes... If my wife does not obey me, then I am perfectly willing to punish her in whatever way I think is right...”


Every day, womn and children exported from the Philippines into the mail-order bride and sex trafficking industry are sent to men much like the one described above.

Every day, their plights go unnoticed, ignored by the government.

----

In honor of these womn and all womn fighting for their rights, we celebrate INTERNATIONAL WOMN'S DAY on March 8.

Please join us for a fundraiser and film screening of the mail-order bride documentary, "Say I Do" on

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 8
200 WHEELER
7:00PM
Refreshments served.
Donations of $3-5 welcomed and go back to
GABNet's Purple Rose Campaign and other work.

In light of what's going on in the Philippines, it's important for us
to come together to learn, to discuss
and more importantly,
to act.

For more information, contact berkeleyunit.sfbayarea@gabnet.org.

2 Comments:

  • At 3/05/2006 12:51 AM, Blogger Gura said…

    wish I could go to this, but I'm already skipping French class to do a poetry reading at Manilatown.

     
  • At 3/05/2006 1:54 PM, Blogger Okir said…

    Thanks for posting this -- unfortunately I can't make it because I"ll be working that day...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home